The city of Mahabubnagar is located at a distance of 96km from Hyderabad. Formerly known as, Rukmammapeta and Palamooru , it was named as Mahabubnagar on 4th December 1890 , in the honour of Mir Mahbub Ali Khan Asaf Jah VI, the Nizam of Hyderabad (1869-1911 AD). Mahabubnagar is bordered with River Krishna in the south and surrounded by the Nalgonda, Hyderabad, Kurnool, Raichur and Gulbarga districts. It is believed that the Golconda diamonds including famous “KOHINOOR” diamond came from Mahabubnagar district. It is the head quarter of Mahbubnagar District. It is also known by its erstwhile name of Palamooru. It is 98 km southwest of the state capital Hyderabad.
The district has a population of 3,513,934 of which 10.57% is urban as of 2001.