The city of Mahabubnagar is located at a distance of 96km from Hyderabad. Formerly known as, Rukmammapeta and Palamooru , it was named as Mahabubnagar on 4th December 1890 , in the honour of Mir Mahbub Ali Khan Asaf Jah VI, the Nizam of Hyderabad (1869-1911 AD). Mahabubnagar is bordered with River Krishna in the south and surrounded by the Nalgonda, Hyderabad, Kurnool, Raichur and Gulbarga districts. It is believed that the Golconda diamonds including famous “KOHINOOR” diamond came from Mahabubnagar district. It is the head quarter of Mahbubnagar District. It is also known by its erstwhile name of Palamooru. It is 98 km southwest of the state capital Hyderabad.
The district has a population of 3,513,934 of which 10.57% is urban as of 2001.
Mahbubnagar is located at 16°44’N 77°59’E / 16.73°N 77.98°E / 16.73; 77.98. It has an average elevation of 498 meters (1633 feet).
As of 2001 India census, Mahbubnagar had a population of 130,849. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Mahbubnagar has an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 67%. In Mahbubnagar, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Mahabubnagar is considered to be very peaceful town. Although District on the whole is backward, Mahabubnagar is known for very good schools.